Weopon breaking

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Ezor Edwickton

Weopon breaking

Post by Ezor Edwickton »

I think it would be better if when i weapon breaks it should become a damaged weapon first before disappearing. ie: dagger, becomes rusty dagger. You'd have to take your weapon to a smith to get repaired, but if you continue to fight with it you have a chance of ruining it completely (it disappers). This could also work wth armor and shields as well.
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

They already said they had something like this planned.
Ezor Edwickton

Post by Ezor Edwickton »

Oh, sounds good, i wasn't sure if that was comming, i guess they have a lot of things to get caught up with before hand though.
Shi'voc

Post by Shi'voc »

it's already implemented like that... it's just that you are lacking the possibility to see the quality until that is implemented as well.
Talaena Landessi

Post by Talaena Landessi »

Maybe you click on it/ "look" at it something like

The Sword is in perfect condition (slashing weapon with no debuffs)

The sword has a few nics (-x amount to damage)

The sword has many nics (-xx amount to damage)

The sword is getting rusted (-xxx amout damage)

The sword is rusted & Becoming dull (-xxxx amount damage)

The sword is rusted & Dull (need to be repaired really soon,maybee turn to concussion weapon with the damage of a club ^_^)

Your sword breaks (you would get a damaged sword handle/damaged sword blade)

after that you have to bring it to a smith to get it repaired and put back together ^_^
Rugosch

Post by Rugosch »

Talaena Landessi wrote:Your sword breaks (you would get a damaged sword handle/damaged sword blade)

after that you have to bring it to a smith to get it repaired and put back together ^_^
Ild say, this is the time, it is too late. I wouldnt try to repair a broken sword. And by the way, a repair would be nice, but shouldnt reset the quality to the original. Instead the weapon/tool/armor becomes a quality one level worse than the original and the original will be set one level worse. So there is a new way to get money through work without making production of new wares senseless. Problem is, that there is need of an additional information at every item (original quality).

In addition ther could be the possibility that weapons/tools with wooden handles anly the handle breaks and the head is still there. This gives more worth to the work of a carpenter (and is more realistic, I think). To solve with a percentage, that the head is in the inventory as soon as the tool/weapon breaks)
The-Puppeteer

Post by The-Puppeteer »

Is this being worked on? Because i think the weapons at the moment break a bit to fast, Since it's such a long distance between the monsters and the town it can be a pain.
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

There already is a quality system in place, just the seeing it/repairing is not finished I guess.
Dónal Mason wrote:Actually, iron back then would have been quite brittle. They didn't have the advanced purification techniques we have nowadays.
Not really, pure iron is quite soft. They used a process called bloomery to make the metal usable. Melted iron, or cast iron, is very brittle. However you get this if you leave it in the coal too long, timing is all about experience. Most of the iron was a steel/iron, because the outside of the bloom would get more carbon than the center, the outer crust of the metal would be steel and the inner would be iron.
Last edited by Gro'bul on Fri May 20, 2005 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
martin

Post by martin »

Right.
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

martin wrote:Right.
P.S. This is a developer (for those of you who do not know ;))

P.P.S. Martin, as I could see, you posted in your always comprehensive and nonrevealing manner. But I guess I could understand this time.
The-Puppeteer

Post by The-Puppeteer »

You mean that it says bad dagger or something like that? :?
I actually never checked, the item always broke before i had the chance :roll:
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

One of Martin's words equals 100,000 of a mortals words.
Nilo

Post by Nilo »

You know, i wish weapons didn't break period. Thats one of the reasons why i dont really play anymore... :?
martin

Post by martin »

Then this game is the wrong game for you, probably.
No way to express that in 1 word, sorry.

Martin
Last edited by martin on Wed May 18, 2005 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nilo

Post by Nilo »

I've played it for 3 years now... I like it a lot, its just all the new things kinda came at me too fast. :wink:
Pendar
Location: Founding member of H.A.L ~home for abused lichs~http://h.a.l.istheshit.net/

Post by Pendar »

Weapon breakage is one of the best features, not only does it keep smiths in business. It means that there is always an off chance you can beat some one more skilled than you. There weapon could break :lol:
More over once weapons have a value, so we can see how good they are it will make for great tradeing.
Above all else it will stop things getting as they were, I once had 8 double axes in my depot and Pendar was not a rich character. I could give them away for nothing and you would only ever lose it if you died and some one didnt save your equipment.
I actually really like it..
Now all we need is broken weapons to break down into a pile of junk. That can be resmelted for a quarter of what it takes to make the item.
Brian
The-Puppeteer

Post by The-Puppeteer »

mmm... yeah, it's quite fun when you made me think about it, but the problem is Eliza's incredible prices!! Somebody has to go and sell her some daggers!! We need inflation, because there arn't always smiths on when you need them.. :wink:
Bloodhearte

Post by Bloodhearte »

I like the weapon breaking idea, but they break too freakin' quickly. :lol: My daggers feel like they're made of a mixture of dirt and straw rather than iron.
Dónal Mason

Post by Dónal Mason »

Actually, iron back then would have been quite brittle. They didn't have the advanced purification techniques we have nowadays.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Dónal Mason wrote:Actually, iron back then would have been quite brittle. They didn't have the advanced purification techniques we have nowadays.
Medieval fantasy. There could be a lot of good techniques (or magical ones even) for weapon/armor making.
martin

Post by martin »

Yes, so do it! :)

Martin
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

Fooser wrote:
Medieval fantasy. There could be a lot of good techniques (or magical ones even) for weapon/armor making.
There is, afterall, the magical metal known as Martinium, er, Merinium. :wink:
The-Puppeteer

Post by The-Puppeteer »

btw, where are all of the mummies, when I went tomb raiding I didn't meet any resistance, what happend to them?
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

The-Puppeteer wrote:btw, where are all of the mummies, when I went tomb raiding I didn't meet any resistance, what happend to them?
They went underground, they kept getting sunburnt. :wink:
Galim

Post by Galim »

Actually, iron back then would have been quite brittle. They didn't have the advanced purification techniques we have nowadays.
lol, thats not true. in the medievil times they had damn good knowledge about iron and how to use it for really good weapons or armors. especially the area of Toledo was very famous for their high quality steal and weapons. like in japan where the craftmen and smiths made unbelievable good iron wares, like swords. see muramasa and masamune, the two most famous names of the japaenese smith culture.
Dónal Mason

Post by Dónal Mason »

Well then, in the Illarion region they have a very poor knowledge of iron. Why else do you think the weapons keep breaking? Inept smiths!
Galim

Post by Galim »

good merchant mind of eliza. this way she sells more ;). she buys by bad smiths bad wares and sell it expensive to us. a good character smith would make weapons which are much more better and hold longer.
Bloodhearte

Post by Bloodhearte »

Steel, merinium, plutonium titanium, whatever. The weapons are still brittle as glass IG.
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

I suppose you never had glass armor in Morrowind? :D
martin

Post by martin »

If you look at your weapons now, you will soon find out why they break so fast.
You better start searching for a new and better smith. :)

Martin