Language learning method

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Mimblethorp

Language learning method

Post by Mimblethorp »

I know that all the bugs haven't currently been worked out of the current language learning system but I think it would be awesome and rather realistic to learn alllanguages on a usage basis, just like we do the other skills. Of course you'd need to initially learn the language from a teacher but then you could improve it by chatting, both hearing and speaking would help you improve the language. A teacher would help you more to begin with but anyone learning a language IRL will tell you that to truely learn it fluently you have to get out amongst the native and converse.
Aragon

Post by Aragon »

As far as I have seen it, you learn something by only hearing it.
Sometimes a letter instead of * appeared while hearing the foreign language.
Galim

Post by Galim »

But I think for that your character have to be very smart...well...my intelligence 18 character made it. my char heard a dwarf one time talking something on dwarvcen language beside him , the next time the dwarf said something two letters were visible ;)
Mimblethorp

Post by Mimblethorp »

Actually, I did have that happen with elvish once but no elvish language showed up in my list so I didn't think I was actually learning anything, I just kind of was able to guess at some of it. Would sure be cool if he actually was learning though, I hope you're right.
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

You know how skills tend to stay invisible on the skill list for a while?

Probably the same thing here.

You'd presumably just have to stick around the characters chatting in the foreign languages for long enough.
Y'know, "power-RP" your language skills. ;)
Mimblethorp

Post by Mimblethorp »

LOVE THE TERM! Let's start a new trend of Power RPing! Spread it around, it will be the new cool word.
Bloodhearte

Post by Bloodhearte »

I don't like this idea...were it to be implemented, I wouldn't doubt for a second that every character would be out learning every language possible.

And racial languages are meant to be exclusive.
Irania

Post by Irania »

I think so too. It makes it really interesting!
Kasume

Post by Kasume »

Yea, well. I can't even get the command working.
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

Kasume played Illarion? :lol:

About the command:

!l elf
!l dwarf

You type something like that, press enter
And after that, type the scentence you want, and press enter
You must turn it off again manually though, bye doing !l common
Mimblethorp

Post by Mimblethorp »

Bloodhearte wrote:I don't like this idea...were it to be implemented, I wouldn't doubt for a second that every character would be out learning every language possible.

And racial languages are meant to be exclusive.
From what I understand, the ability to learn other languages is already being implemented. This was just a suggestion on how to practice it, essentially, like other skills.
Irania

Post by Irania »

But that means that each race will no longer have that one special thing to its self(?)
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

I don't see what's wrong about some characters trying to learn different languages or work as translators. ;)

And given since it's done in dialogue, I have trouble imagining someone "PGing their language skills", truth be told.
Irania

Post by Irania »

True, but you don't think it's cool for each race to have it's own special thing?
Kincent Nolatri
Location: Think to your self, does Kincent stay still long enough for a location

Post by Kincent Nolatri »

Yeah.. but not a languge that could be learned by others..... I mean I can learn an africa languge can I not... People allways talk about how great realism is, well this is real and it don't slowly down game play or fun.

Anyways it would be annoying if every char new every languge but i dont see whats wrong if we keep it controled..
Bloodhearte

Post by Bloodhearte »

Moirear Sian wrote:I don't see what's wrong about some characters trying to learn different languages or work as translators. ;)

And given since it's done in dialogue, I have trouble imagining someone "PGing their language skills", truth be told.
I think the other characters trying to learn them and/or work as a translator is a cool thing...I guess I just don't have enough faith in the average player to trust that they won't get all their characters to learn all languages. :lol: It would kind of ruin the point of having a racial tongue in the first place.
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

Irania wrote:True, but you don't think it's cool for each race to have it's own special thing?
Not in particular...

Especially not if it means to limit things that seem logical enough in the sense of realism (one of those tidbits of realism that don't hurt the game in my eyes).

I think it's cooler if every character has their own special character, but I guess that's asking for too much.
Bloodhearte wrote:I guess I just don't have enough faith in the average player to trust that they won't get all their characters to learn all languages.
And if they did, what exactly would be wrong about that?
You see it enough in fantasy stories—the well-versed adventurer who's been everywhere, seen everything, and heard it all; and hey, has picked up a few languages along the road.
Let's say, let's assume; if someone manages to max out on knowing all language skills, are you aware how long this would take that someone? As far as I know, nobody even has any extra language skills displayed in their skill lists. And the best they can hear out is a few letters in sentences which are otherwise scrambled.

I really don't see any problem here, at all.
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

I would only strive to get my language skills if I had a good rp reason. Like a "detective" style char. Quite an upper hand you have there. It will probably take A LOT of time to learn one whole language.
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

It is implemented, already--although bugged--so that you could learn a very little bit of the elven language. However, this is only a little bit, and I would prefer to keep it that way. I want you to have a good chance of messing up your translations.

Aegohl
Aristeaus

Post by Aristeaus »

The learning of languages should be directly linked to your characters intelligence.
Galim

Post by Galim »

To learn an other language should mean to stand directly beside someone who is speaking the language, and it should be hard to learn, and should depent on your intelligence. of course someone with high intelligence learn faster and more easier than someone with common or low.
Dónal Mason

Post by Dónal Mason »

What? Why would you need to stand next to someone to learn a language? I'm sorry, but that meakes no sense.
Mimblethorp

Post by Mimblethorp »

Dónal Mason wrote:What? Why would you need to stand next to someone to learn a language? I'm sorry, but that meakes no sense.
It actually does to a certain extent. You can only learn IRL a language to a certain proficiency by reading a book and getting the accent right is almost impossible without someone to listen to (since they didn't have Berlitz language CDs in the dark ages which...essentially, is where Illarion lies).

As far as someone maxing all the languages:
1. Well, sounds like they aren't allowing that 'in-code'. You can only get a minimal proficiency.
2. I really have trouble seeing very many people doing this on purpose, even if it was allowed. I mean, look at how long it takes to max ANY skill. I can't see someone sitting there, going through the annoying "***e*a****g***" talk, JUST to get a language up. Doing it because of honestly trying to understand someone could be fun but it's about the most boreing PGing I can imagine. Much more fun to go click a book 10,000 times...ok, maybe it's a tie but what you get is more interesting from the book, after all, we can already speak common.