Some help on production of items

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

martin

Some help on production of items

Post by martin »

Gaining resources:
Wood: Use axes (in your hand) with trees will give you either conifer or deciduous wood loogs.
Mining: Using a pickaxe in your hand with stones will give you different ore, coal or gems.

Work with resources:
Wood: put the logs in your belt, hold a saw and use the logs with the saw. You will get either conifer or deciduous boards.
Ore: Hold crucible pincers in your hand and the ore in your belt and use a crucible with a lightened furnace. (Light the furnace with logs of wood first)
This will produce liquid metal in a crucible which you hold with the pincers. Use the liquid metal with a mold in your belt. You then have the choice between two iron ingots. Choose one.

Taking it further...
Wood: Place the logs in your belt and a saw in your hand and use the saw. You will get a menu. You can then produce different handles, arrows and so on from conifers and shields from dedicuous wood.
Metal: Use the ore with an anvil and hold a hammer in your hand. Dependend on the ingot you made, you can smith different items: Either armor or blades/hammer heads/axe blades...

Final touch:
Put together handles and blades (for weapons), handles and tool-heads for tools etc. by holding a hammer in your hand and use it with an anvil while having the needed tools in your belt.
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

where do you get crucibles? No npc sells them that I've seen.
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

yea i've been searching forever ><

and it seems that all the places i last saw a furnace, have dissapeared
Moirear Sian

Re: Some help on production of items

Post by Moirear Sian »

Auf Deutsch:

Ressourcen-Beschaffung:
• Holz: Benutze eine Axt (in der Hand) mit Bäumen. Du erhältst entweder Nadelbaum- oder Laubbaum-Holzstämme.
• Erze: Benutze eine Pickelaxt (in der Hand) mit Steinen. Du erhältst verschiedene Erze, Kohle, oder Edelsteine.

Mit den Ressourcen arbeiten:
• Holz: Die Holzstämme müssen auf dem Gürtel platziert sein. Halte eine Säge in der Hand und benutze die Holzstämme mit der Säge. Du erhältst entweder Nadelbaum- oder Laubbaum-Bretter.
• Erze: Das Erz muss auf dem Gürtel platziert sein. Halte einen Tiegel und Zange in der Hand und benutze den Tiegel mit einer angefeuerten Ofen. Um den Ofen anzufeuern; Holzstämme verwenden. Dies stellt flüssiges Metall im Tiegel her, welcher mit der Zange gehalten werden kann. Benutze das flüssige Metall mit einer Gussform (welcher im Gürtel vorhanden sein muss). Dann erhältst Du die Wahl zwischen zwei Eisenbarren. Wähle eins davon.

Einen Schritt weitergeführt...
• Holz: Platziere die Bretter und Stämme im Gürtel, und mit einer Säge in der Hand, benutze die Säge. Du siehst ein Menü. Du kannst dann verschiedene Holzhalterungen, Pfeile, usw. aus Nadelbaumhölzer herstellen, und Schilde aus Laubbaumhölzern.
• Erze: Benutze die Erzbarren mit einem Amboss, ein Hammer in der Hand haltend. Abhängig davon, welcher Barren hergestellt wurde, können verschiedene Gegenstände hergestellt werden: Entweder Rüstungen oder Klingen/Hammerköpfe/usw.

Der Feinschliff:
• Setze Holzhalterungen und Klingen zusammen (um Waffen herzustellen), Holzhalterungen und Werkzeugköpfen für die Werkzeuge, usw. Benutze hierzu den Hammer (muss erneut auch in der Hand sein) mit einem Amboss, während die benötigten Komponenten im Gürtel vorhanden sind.
martin

Post by martin »

falco1029 wrote:where do you get crucibles? No npc sells them that I've seen.
Well.
In game you have no idea what this is all about, out of game: There is one NPC selling it, of course.

Martin
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

Am I going to have to search everywhere for it? :(
Cain Freemont

Post by Cain Freemont »

martin wrote: In game you have no idea what this is all about
That would be a yes, Falcor - God of Falcon Flight.

Much appreciation for the comprehensive guide, Martin.
Nilo

Post by Nilo »

Ill tell ya this:
IT will be very hard to get a crucible. :wink:
Nilo

Post by Nilo »

And it does not work.

I use Iron Ingot + Anvil (with hammer in one hand, ingot in the other, with iron and coal in my inventory) Then i try to create armour, and it says i dont have the resources ready.
Cain Freemont

Post by Cain Freemont »

Nilo wrote:And it does not work.

I use Iron Ingot + Anvil (with hammer in one hand, ingot in the other, with iron and coal in my inventory) Then i try to create armour, and it says i dont have the resources ready.
Try putting the ingot in your belt as well.
Nilo

Post by Nilo »

Just kidding that works.

Hmm i kinda wish this hadn't been posted yet.. i like people to find out in game... as someone once said, CERTAIN people have a monopoly. :wink:

The dwarves knew how to smith, i think that noone else need know until the word escapes... but oh well.

By the way, shouldn't it be harder to make plate mail??
Last edited by Nilo on Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cain Freemont

Post by Cain Freemont »

*shrugs* I figured you would have, it is YOU afterall. :P

Well, maybe its just bugged, like many things still are.
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

Nilo wrote:i like people to find out in game
I think this is nonsense. So many people just spread these things in ((OOC bubbles)) or over Instant Messenger services. I'm sure some people would find it easier to do these things irl than try out forever how they work in the game, especially if some of them don't really make any sense and they're just trying to RP a crafter (e.g.: Use logs + saw? Wouldn't it be more logical to use saw + logs? Of course there is a technical reason why this is like that, but try imagining someone putting up a saw on the ground, clenching it between their feet and drawing the logs over it to saw them up. I hope this proves my point).
Nilo

Post by Nilo »

Of course it is a game... and i think it has a bit of a challenge trying to figure it out.. and thats why many people play it. When it loses its challenge, many people stop playing... Yes its an rp, and thats what its all about, but when it loses the excitement... people tend to quit, which is what happend not only a month ago. :wink:
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

I don't find it very challenging to blindly try out things when you're trying to roleplay. This is an RPG, and not one of those olskool Point-'n-click Adventure games from Lucasarts where you have to figure out why you're not proceeding with the story and solve semi-logical puzzles.

Why people were flocking away from the game was because it was obscenely hard to get anywhere in the sense of use of skills and items, and because hardly anybody was still playing.

/Edit: Personally I don't want to revisit those crappy times when newbies were told off to find everything out in-game when obviously they couldn't find it out in-game (duh). In the end effect all that led to was people having to find acceptance in some OOC-cliques. What does that have to do with RPing?
Durin Goldtooth

Post by Durin Goldtooth »

Do you realize that in an hour after this was posted, everyone in the game was looking for those three items for smithing??

So much for the 'keep it ooc'... And now, all the other races are trying to beg dwarves to go in and get the tools they need, just so they can smith also... This is not promoting good rp, and isn't good rp.
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

Oh, c'mon, dwarves must love having morons flocking to them and begging them for favors! :lol:

Joking aside... all I can say is: "Interesting", considering that I'm sure many of these people probably argued to be good RPers or denounce others as less good RPers in the past; although this is a stab in the dark.

But at the same time, Durin, do you realize that before this one post, one hundred+ people were carpentering and selling axehandles in the shop just to make some gold? You couldn't even sell logs as a lumberjack (neither to NPCs nor player characters). That's not good RP either.

"Less whine, more RP." These things should balance out over time.
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

THe fact that even if you have a dwarf it costs insanely high amounts for the tools really imbalances the game. I don't know what you guys were thinking doing that. I thought we were trying to make all of the crafts equal and reliant on each other?
Nilo

Post by Nilo »

It will all be balanced yes,

But i think that elves should be better at carpentry, dwarves at smithing, halflings at farming & herb lore... orcs at fighting and lizzards at fishing...

Humans are kinda inbetween everything... Humans are like the equivalent of "Muts" in the dog world. Hehe....

So i supose humans do a bit of everything, but the point im making is that the dwarves are going to ride this thing out for a long time, as long as they can... And theres a reason the GM's made it to where dwarves can get the smithing tools, but others cannot at the moment. :wink:
Pendar
Location: Founding member of H.A.L ~home for abused lichs~http://h.a.l.istheshit.net/

Post by Pendar »

No doubt some ooc had to do with it. How ever after I found out specific tonges were required in game. In my usual manner i set as many willing hands as possible to finding me some this may account for many seekers.
I do how ever have to wonder at the wisdom of placeing such a vital tool in a location that is only accesable to one race. Acessable in as much as first thing you learn is dont enter silverbrand. So I suppose my question is do we achieve balance by placeing the most combat/wealth based skill purely in one player groups hands.
Especially while other skills such as druidry are scarcely even working we have plate armor in game before we have appel pies or healing potions.
I do not have an actual game play problem with it as I will find some one or sneak in and buy some myself.
Just wondering is have we in any way got closer to a balance here..
Brian
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

I think your just going to see a rediculous rise in dwarven population, rather than anyone bothering with the such. I for one thought this was rediculous. This is not the new beginning of the world, all races would have access and skill at such things. Dwarves perhaps more so, but no human/elf/lizard/orc/human smiths? How is anyone becoming a fighter class other than dwarf if their races can't even make a simple tool? I bet there are at least 20 dwarven chars sitting around for activation since this has been found out.
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

But isn't it so that only dwarves of Silverbrand can get there? No one else I mean? :?
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

@Misj: As far as I know, yes.

@Gro: I see your point. But personally, I'm with Nilo's post on the preceding page: I like the idea of the races and towns being inter-dependant of eachother (the thought of the dwarves having a monopoly on smithing appeals to me, gameplay- as well as roleplay-wise). As Pendar wrote, this is just more of an opportunity for roleplaying, rather than people doing everything themselves. As for the addressed point of people making dwarf characters now... I know I won't, my character list consists of 3 humans and an elf; and #5 will not be a dwarf. ;)

For the record, I have a human fighter, he's doing great. Although the lack of tailors in game leaves him without a bag for the time being (lost it in the temple ruins to the mummies), which is a much greater hindrance than anything else...
Korwin

Post by Korwin »

The posting of the tools needed for crafting was neccesary, though maybe not the exact procedure. People can probably figure out how to do the steps given the tools, but how would anyone have guessed that pincers, and crucibles even existed in the game?

Localizing the tools was an excellent idea, and we need more things like that in game. It makes the game much more interesting. It's much more interesting trying to scheme up ways to get tools from the dwarves than the age old acquire-train-sell.

The economy shouldn't be fair. Trade is never fair. In no way is the current situation going to prevent people from playing their role, they just have to be inventive. Economic balance is boring, all of the most interesting times for players have occured in times of inbalance, though it may irk alot of players that they aren't the ones in control. In a good story, there has to be a conflict, this is one of them.

Who knows what could happen in game. Will the other races boycott goods? Will bandits begin robbing people of tools? Will someone smuggle tools out? Will the tool supplying areas be invaded?

In the future, I hope more resources are limited, or controlled by something, or someone.
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

Amen Korwin.
Konstantin K
Location: Permanently Banned by Uber Powerful Mega-GMs, because he was BAD.

Post by Konstantin K »

Amen Korwin.
Dónal Mason

Post by Dónal Mason »

Well, there are many ways to get your hands on smithing tools.

1. Rob a dwarf
2. Ask a dwarf very very nicely, using words such as magnificent
3. Give a dwarf money
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

Number 3 always works for me! (I can rhyme!(for a dime))
Konstantin K
Location: Permanently Banned by Uber Powerful Mega-GMs, because he was BAD.

Post by Konstantin K »

Dónal Mason wrote:Well, there are many ways to get your hands on smithing tools.

1. Rob a dwarf
2. Ask a dwarf very very nicely, using words such as magnificent
3. Give a dwarf money
4. Put on a fake beard, pretend to be a dwarf, come up to the dwarf's family, tell them that their father is dying in a wagon accident down the road, and we need all tools you got in the house to help free him from under a collapsed load. Take the tools, flee to Greenbriar, pretend to be a halfling, pass the tools to a troop of elf smugglers.