Legends Of Illarion will be released on: April 9th, 2009

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Dyluck

Post by Dyluck »

Thanks, everyone. :D Glad to hear everyone's enjoying it so far. Don't worry folks, there's still a lot more names coming up than what you find in town. Almost every event and person in this game is a character from Illarion. The "first" dungeon is probably the least interesting part of the game, so if you got past that, I'm already breathing a sigh of relief. :P

My expected level necessary to beat Asmodeus is level 5, so when I'm reading level 7, I'm guessing most of you must be trying to tackle him with Dyluck alone. So I asked myself "Why are these guys trying to take on Asmodeus alone even after I made it painstakingly obviously you could do otherwise!?" Then I checked my code and realized something. When you smash the rock, if Dyluck is alone, he's supposed to say "Looks pretty tough from here on out too. I wonder if I could hire some help back in town." Unfortunately that didn't happen due to a coding error. Anyways, now I've told ya so now ya'll know. And if that weren't obvious enough, just look closely at some of the clues near my postings... :wink: Asmodeus should be a piece of cake now.

Since we're all having so much fun and I'm hoping most of you won't miss this, let me just point out that there IS an amusing little mini-game you can do around town, but it can only be completed before Chapter 2 I think. You might have noticed that some of townsfolk have "little problems" that you don't seem to have a solution to. Here's a hint on how to get you started that you can highlight if you want to read: You might have noticed some sheep and pigs around town. Notice that the examine button causes them to do something! :lol:

If I understand right, any problems or technical problems were resloved right? If I missed something just tell me again or PM me. With the "job class not referenced" thing, I'm not sure what the problem was or how you fixed it, but maybe you want to post it so others know how to fix it if it comes up. Regarding download link problems, it seems to be just fine for me and I use Internet Explorer. Have fun!
Rackere Diplomatre

Post by Rackere Diplomatre »

I tried to cheat and opened it in RM2k, not in RM2k3. So is was saved wrong and the battle system didn't work anymore. ;) Very nice game by the way and I would like to know how you invented the sentence for Rackere. ;)
Rackere Diplomatre

No "Shame on you Rack!". Now I'm mad at you all. :P
Conscience

Post by Conscience »

Amazingly, this "Old School Illarion" RPG is even more fun than the actual illarion game we have now.
Dyluck

Post by Dyluck »

Heh. Let that be a lesson to all of you not to try and cheat :lol:
Guess you'll have to redownload it. And the dialouge... well I couldn't think of anymore story relevant material so I figured I might as well give some hints about the gameplay mechanics which might not be obvious. I probably should've put even more of that stuff. Some of the "what do do next" isn't very obvious early on in the game too. Oh and never forget the age old holy traditions of "save often" and "talk to people more than once" my friends.
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

yes but that gets annoying. There should at least be clues of who to talk to.
Dyluck

Post by Dyluck »

There always is.

Which brings me to another hint: Don't ignore the parchment outside the tavern. I'm sure there's someone out there who's un-employed. It'll make your life easier throughout the game for newbies after you beat the first dungeon.
Rackere Diplomatre

Dyluck wrote:Heh. Let that be a lesson to all of you not to try and cheat :lol:
Guess you'll have to redownload it.
No, I downloaded RM2k3, re-extracted the archive and finally did it. I never managed Dyluck's first fight against the Water dragon so I added an instant-heal item (similar to the tent but with unlimited uses)...
Dyluck

Post by Dyluck »

You know, "Merciless Mayhem" absorbs more HP than the damage you take, and "Nightmare Slash"'s poison takes more HP per turn than even any of your own attacks.
Ezor Edwickton

Post by Ezor Edwickton »

BUG:
Screen flashes white several times each second. Mostly on the bottum side. It makes it very hard to fight, because you can barely see the options.
Dyluck

Post by Dyluck »

Hmm... sounds like an isolated system problem on your side. Maybe your graphics card is too outdated? Doesn't seem like anyone else has a problem like that so far. Sorry, can't help you much there. Maybe try to use f4 and f5 to toggle between full screen/windowed mode and small/double size and see if it makes a difference?
Rackere Diplomatre

Didn't know that. However, there is a second reason for me why I cheated. I HATE random encounters. So I want to deal them really quick. Solution: Create an uber weapon. And that is what i did.
Ezor Edwickton

Post by Ezor Edwickton »

Works fine when it is played as a window, but gets all flashy in full screen. I have NVIDIA graphics card. Any ideas?
Rackere Diplomatre

Any other programs running that create windows (instant messengers?)
Ezor Edwickton

Post by Ezor Edwickton »

nope
Ezor Edwickton

Post by Ezor Edwickton »

Another thing:
During the first boss battle with Moshran. He says "Now i will tell you the truth," the screen fades away and then comes right back and he says "now do you understand?" Is there something missing here or what?
Dyluck

Post by Dyluck »

Nope, nothing missing.
Moathia

Post by Moathia »

*sniff* I can't find Galadria.
The Returner

Post by The Returner »

Ezor Edwickton wrote:Works fine when it is played as a window, but gets all flashy in full screen. I have NVIDIA graphics card. Any ideas?
Yeah, get an ATI.
Dyluck

Post by Dyluck »

Don't forget, you can always PM me if you have specific questions or are getting stuck somewhere.

The following is a brief walkthrough of the intro to the first part of chapter 1 if you need it. It contains pretty much everything you can/should do, so read on if you want to, but playing on your own might be more fun.

WARNING: The following contains spoilers so don't highlight and read it if you want to find out things on your own!
Walkthrough

Intro:
May your way to the left and avoid stepping on the lava to prevent damage. Some of the random encounters here have enemies with large HP so if you get bored just use "Escape" command in battle to run away. Once you make it inside the dark little chapel, use Divine Intervention to restore your HP if necessary. Exit through the back to face Nadrook.

Nadrook: HP 55555

Nadrook and Moshran have an interesting little pre-fight conversation. No, you're not supposed to hear everything Nadrook says and I'm not going to tell you. Nadrook's magic deal about 1000-1500 per turn. Moshran's Fate Horizon or Destruction Rising deals 5000-6000 per turn. Go Moshran. Heal up with Divine Intervention occasionly if necessary. Celebrate your victory as you've saved Illarion already less than 30 minutes into the game.

A man and possibly someone else seems to be on their way to ground zero just as the fight ends. All part of the mystery folks. After the intro, you have one chance to save your game, and I mean ONCE, so don't cancel out or anything. Next up at bat, Valzhurion the legendary water dragon.

Chapter 1:

Valzhurion: HP 17500
Attack, Water Burst 2, Water Burst 3, Flood 2

Valzhurion's attacks deal bout 200-300 per turn. Start of by using Nightmare Slash until he gets poisoned. You'll notice that he starts to lose 800+ HP per turn. Then use Lightning Lunge to deal as much damage as possible. Use Merciless Mayhem to get back some HP whenever necessary or Nightmare Slash to poison him again if it wears off.

Valzhurion wouldn't be legendary if he went down THAT easily, so your ship kicks the bucket and you wash up on shore. You wake up with amnesia and take your former sword with you and go look around. Head south to find a dwarf looking for minerals. You find out that you're Dyluck (surprise) and the dwarf is Caranthir. He suggests you go back to town to rest up and maybe you'll remember something. But if you have any geographic sense about Illarion you'll realize that the zombie ruins are standing in your way.

Northern Ruins:

Since Dyluck has a lower defense, you might want to have him switch his shirt with Caranthir's cloth armor. Swipe his viking helmet too. Inside the northern ruins, there are 3 chests each with a red potion. You might pick up a few from battle drops too. Caranthir's Might attack does double damage than his fight attack, but leaves him fatigued, which means half defense and speed, so Might should only be used near the end of battles. When you get to the southeast of the dungeaon a monster is blocking your way.

Ghoul Lord: HP 1000
Attack, Double Attack

Just whack away with your normal attacks and Fragment Of Memories if you like. Use red potions if necessary. Shouldn't be a tough battle. After you win, Dyluck finds his mighty sword has been damaged because his sword skills suck. You didn't really think I was gonna let you keep a weapon like that did you? Quickly go outside before your weaponless-magicless Dyluck runs into a monster.

Outside, Caranthir reunites with Udan and Leif, his Ironhammer buddies. Caranthir informs his that this place is out of minerals and Udan suggest they dig in the east from now on. Yes folks, in the OLD OLD days people used to mine around those ruins before they migrated east of town in the OLD days. Now you know the REAL reason why they moved =P (aside from the removed depot and new limited carrying capacity at the time).
Caranthir offers to swindle you of your precious broken sword for 400g. Say No to squeeze 500g from him for it instead. The dwarves leave and now the world is your pork chop. You can explore it a bit.

The World:
Not much you can do right now. Lousy people standing in your way and not letting you in. Head to the eastern mountains and go inside the room to find a piece of iron. You'll need it for later. Head to Troll's Bane now.

Troll's Bane:
Things to Do
-Try blacksmithing
-Find Zasmia a job
-Start animal/item exchange sidequest
-Go to the Inn like you're supposed to

Those are the main things you can do, besides exploring and talking to people. By the way, you can't beat Olivia Smallburrow at her game no matter how hard you try.

Try Blacksmithing:
You can blacksmith something new whenever you have 1 coal and 1 iron. You don't have iron yet so come back later. Try not to miss out on iron and coal, or else you'll be smithing useless items to you if you're only smithing a crap sword for the first time after the 5th dungeon for example.

Find Zasmia A Job:
A parchement outside says their hiring a barmaid. Zasmia wants a job. So tell her about it. She'll be at the bar from now on after you've beaten the first dungeon later. From then on, talk to her whenever you're stuck and she'll offer you clues and advice.

Start item/animal exchange quest:
Tinari find that her animals are missing. Her husband upstairs tells you there are 3 pigs and 3 sheeps. Find the animals and push them back into the pen. All 3 pigs are inside the garden, just like real Illarion. The 3 sheep are outside nearby, not to far away. If you can't find them, maybe they wandered away too far. Just go inside any building and come back out and they'll restart where they should be. Also if any animals inside the pen wander back out you don't have to worry about it. Once you've found all 6 animals, Tinari rewards you with some gold and wool from her sheep. Here's what you do next:

-Buy thread from Sam at the shop. Give thread and wool to Galdriel for a cape.
-Give cape to Quain to get a saw.
-Give saw to Drathe to get a bucket.
-Give bucket to Viola Thistle for flowers.
-Give flowers to Neonrift for ink.
-Give ink to Nanuk for empty bottle.
-Give empty bottle to Dhalsim for strawberry.
-Give strawberry to Brendan Mason for strawberry cake

Now you have a strawberry cake, so just hold on to it and don't eat it. Next head to the alley between the library and the workshop. Old beggar asks for money. You can be nice if you want. He tells you it's a good idea to search pots/barrels is a good idea. To be honest there's usually nothing in them, especially in Troll's Bane. Anyways, inspect one of them in the alley to find Aries' Lucky Ring. Give it back to Aries to get gold nuggets.
Now that you have gold nuggets and strawberry cake, you can give them to Tialdin for a pickaxe.

BUT!! Since you CAN wear Aries' ring to increase your stats by a smidge, and you're probably too poor to buy other accessories now, maybe you want to keep the ring for a while first. However you should give it back to him by the time you finish the first dungeon. When you do eventually get the pickaxe from Tialdin go back to the room in the easter mountains and break the boulder. Inside you'll find an explosive, a one-use item in battle that deals 300HP damage or so. All that work, and such a pathetic prize you say??? Well you did have fun, didn't you?

Go to the inn like you're supposed to:
When you're ready to continue the game head to the inn and spend the night. Notice Dax tells you to hire him if you ever need a hand. During the night Dyluck gets some good ol' brainwashing and decides he needs to go back to the ruins and find a book the next morning. Talk to Dax and he offers to join you.... for 500 gold. Don't be a cheapskate. Besides, you don't want Dax to be underleveled later on just because you didn't want his company.

Next you'll need to go to the shop to suit up Dyluck with some weapons and armor, as well as a Heavy Axe to smash the rock in the northern ruins. Make sure you buy equipment that Dyluck can actually use. If you're low on cash for red potions, you might want to buy fruits or food outside, but they're only useful outside of battle. Get a few throwing stars for Dax if you got cash leftover. Head north when you're ready. Some ointment from Francesa might be handy too.

Northern Ruins Revisited:

Smash the rock that was in your way and move on. The next part has some measly treasures but one of the statues has a treasure box with coal in it so don't miss it. You can take it back to town to smith a slightly better sword if you like and then come back. After this part, you'll come a room with a little rock pushing puzzle. C'mon use your brain and don't ask me to write down the solution sequence. Besides, do to my stupidity when changing this dungeon to a new tileset, you can just bypass the puzzle by walking near the bottom of the room anyways. If you make your way to the fountain, you can drink from it to restore your health.

After the puzzle, you'll be in another big room with some measly treasures. Once you find the gravestone, examine it at Dyluck will somehow read it and open a new path. A boss awaits you in the next room awaits you.

Asmodeus: HP 1300
Attack, Double Attack, Charge Up, Sleep, Paralyze

Use Dyluck's Fragment of Memories until MP is up. Use any throwing stars you have for Dax. Bash away and heal with red potions when you need, especially if someone is asleep or paralyzed. If you have enough MP to do nothing but Fragment of Memories for Dyluck and don't need to use your regular attacks, then put him in the back row for an easier time.

Out and Back to Town:

Once you beat Asmodeus, examine the coffin for the Rex Mundi. A hole in the back is a shortcut back out. You can take it if you want. If Dyluck and Dax are less than level 5, you might want to walk it back out just to gain some extra exp. Once outside, Dax head to the inn to rest and suggests you to do the same. Listen to him. Dyluck wakes up in the middle of the night and unknowingly skims through the Rex Mundi.

Next morning, not knowing why he feels groggy from lack of sleep, go talk to Dax. Dyluck says he seems to have read the book though he doesn't remember doing so. Dax suggests you go find Damien because this is weird stuff and Damien is a weird guy. The Grey Rose knights were looking for Damien too says Dax. Badmosche of the Grey Rose was sitting in the tavern so go find him.

Talk to Badmosche and he'll tell you that some other knights took Damien to the northwestern forest. You'll tag along to go join the other knights and help them. If you did the Zasmia sidequest then she'll be at the tavern to offer tips from now on. The forest entrance is northwest of town, at a spot you couldn't enter before. Before you leave town, check out Siverstar which is now open to get some beter EQ for Dyluck. Check the regular shop to get EQ for Badmosche too. Stock up on healing items as well as some antidotes since monsters in the forest might poison you.
Head to the forest when you're ready.

That's all for now. Good luck and remember to save often in multiple slots!
Last edited by Dyluck on Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ezor Edwickton

Post by Ezor Edwickton »

I'm having a problem with the sheep, i got all the pigs and sheep back in the pen, but the last sheep came out again and i can't puch him around any more. Also another one of the sheep dissapeard from the fencend in area at the same time.
Dyluck

Post by Dyluck »

Shouldn't be a problem. Refer to this, as taken from the walkthrough:

Start item/animal exchange quest:
Tinari find that her animals are missing. Her husband upstairs tells you there are 3 pigs and 3 sheeps. Find the animals and push them back into the pen. All 3 pigs are inside the garden, just like real Illarion. The 3 sheep are outside nearby, not to far away. If you can't find them, maybe they wandered away too far. Just go inside any building and come back out and they'll restart where they should be. Also if any animals inside the pen wander back out you don't have to worry about it. Once you've found all 6 animals, Tinari rewards you with some wool from her sheep. Here's what you do next:
Crosis

Post by Crosis »

Awesome job Dyluck! Brings back many memories. *sigh*

Is there a way to turn the music off? My computer's kinda slow and it gets bad when I walk into town. The game keeps freezing on me which is lame, oh well my fault for having a slow computer right. :P
Korwin

Post by Korwin »

To find Galadria, just follow the sounds of the orgy! Actually, all you need to do is...
Leave the forest of illusions, then head west along the forest towards the coast. Eventually, you'll find a clearing with a crazy rambling man in it. He'll give you the advice you need.
Now I have my own question, where does a certain wild necromancer run off to after his minions are defeated?
Aragon

Post by Aragon »

Many old rememberings are coming back by looking into the town and talking to the people. Knowing most of the people in the game from those old days, it is a great work, you have done, Dyluck.
Sadly, most of them have gone nowadays and become history.
Dyluck

Post by Dyluck »

Thanks, folks. And don't forget that a lot of names and characters show up gradually as the game goes on, so don't despair if you don't see yourself in town yet! :P

Sorry, there's no way to turn off the music. Maybe you can try switching to windowed mode and normal size (not double size) and see if that might help reduce the lag. Troll's Bane is probably the laggiest place due to its sheer size, people, butterfiles, and parallel processing events. If you get lag from lighting effects in dungeons you can talk to Bror to shut them off though.

Oh and Mothia, i wasn't sure if you were asking a specific question or just commenting about the characters in general. Here's some help:
After you head inside the Forest of Illusions once, if you come back out and keep talking to Olorin he'll give you clues and two possible ways to pass the dungeon. By the way... what Korwin said... should be east, not west. If you still need more info, check spoiler #1 at bottom of this post

And for your question, Korwin:
Just talk to the people around town and somebody will have seen him.
If you need more specific details, refer to spoiler#2 at the bottom of this post.

Oh and guys guys... don't play so fast! Pace yourself to 1 chapter a day at most because there's only so much game to go around! :lol:

Spoiler Alert: Shouldn't read this unless I referred you to it
1)
Once you're inside the forest, you can head left 5 times and then you should notice that where you come out is slightly different this time in that there is 1 extra little seedling plant nearby this time. At this point, go back right to arrive at a new area. If you talked to Olorin and chose to use his method instead, just examine all the mushrooms you can find in the first screen when you enter the dungeon and you'll find 5 eventually. A sickle can be bought from the town shop, btw.

2)
After Necrophius disappears you can find him at:
library behind one of the bookshelves > roof of the tavern > slightly to the right of Drathe > one of the houses in the north > back where he was at the beginning. You can also hire Dax again if you didn't know.
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

How do you use the spellbooks?
Josefine da Vince

Post by Josefine da Vince »

Hmm I think I'm stuck or was it all?
I defeated the fire spirit and went to the tavern with Damien and all of the grey rose guys...but now I can't leave the tavern or am I forgetting something??
Aldgar Omk

Post by Aldgar Omk »

Dyluck, your Walkthrough misses out that...

Tinari gives you 600 gold if you talk to her again right after receiving the ball of wool.

EDIT: And this.

A coal can be found in the northern ruins, if you enter them(the dungeon=monster area) from the south, go up and right, smash the rock, go north a few steps, and go all the way east, then south a bit and some steps to the west. It's "hidden" behind a statue.
Last edited by Aldgar Omk on Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Returner

Post by The Returner »

Josefine da Vince wrote:Hmm I think I'm stuck or was it all?
I defeated the fire spirit and went to the tavern with Damien and all of the grey rose guys...but now I can't leave the tavern or am I forgetting something??
Same Problem