Random generated player numbers?

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Pendar
Location: Founding member of H.A.L ~home for abused lichs~http://h.a.l.istheshit.net/

Random generated player numbers?

Post by Pendar »

I dont know if this has been covered before just a random thought I had.
A big focus on ths game is about not knowing ones definate strength, and especially not sharing it.
How ever when one looks at a player name I can see they are 1002 or 7894 this in turn gives me an idea of both there knowledge and if they seem the warrior type there strength.
The other day I had an arguement of sorts with a character who i did not know at all, how ever looking at there number which was relatively low and there attitude I knew i was going to get my ass handed to me.
By the same token he knew I posed no threat at all and did not have to take me serisouly.
Maybe the new client or what ever comes after the "planned" server wipe could randomly generate numbers.
Just a brain fart
Pendar
Nilo

Post by Nilo »

No...

It's nice for new players to be able to get help... Older players can look at them and know that they are new, so it's an advantage of the new player...

( i love the phrase 'brain fart' ) :wink:
Ezor Edwickton

Post by Ezor Edwickton »

I like this proposal, it is very easy to know where a player generally stands, skill wise, just by looking at the numbers above him. Low numbers are often taken much more seriously, while high numbers are sometimes even just shruged off. There is no benefit for a new player here, and you can usually tell by the things that they say if they are new or not. Your rp shouldn't change if the player is new anyway.
Nilo

Post by Nilo »

Not necessarily, i've seen 74***'s that can kill some of my characters, and they are brand new. :wink:
Kasume

Post by Kasume »

Random Numbers = Good Idea
Hermie

Post by Hermie »

I don't think it's necessary to know if someone is a n00b or not. If someone needs help they will ask for it. I think this proposal is a good idea, but should take place after a char wipe (if it ever comes) otherwise it'd still be obvious who isn't a noob because numbers would then range from 76*** and beyond in a completely random manner.
Nilo

Post by Nilo »

Of course, in another client, we may not even use numbers...
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

yeah well thery will most likely be visible at least until the viewable descriptions are implemented.
Cassandra Fjurin

Post by Cassandra Fjurin »

And i know some 74xxx Charas who can kill demons (Yes the new ones ;) )
Don't watch the numbers to decide how strong a char is. It can bring you bad suprises.

I hope really that we can go away from the numbers in the future. No numbers anymore. Only Char descriptions and such things. But currently there is a need for the numbers.
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

indeed so we can go "Someone murdered me in town who looked like ((61***))!"
Kasume

Post by Kasume »

falco1029 wrote:indeed so we can go "Someone murdered me in town who looked like ((61***))!"
You know... That never helps me. :(
Cassandra Fjurin

Post by Cassandra Fjurin »

Maybe in the distant future we can go with something like this:

Someone has attacked me, he was 1,80m tall has brown hair and was wearing a blue robe. And i forgot he had a scar on his right hand.
Nikago Fyrstyn

Post by Nikago Fyrstyn »

Well i think this is kinda sensless.Yes most time you see a low number and think "oh old player" than you speak with him/her and puff you see its a completly new one, it seems deleting old chars brings up new chars with"old" numbers or am I wrong or you get the other way around thinking its a new one and then, after some minutes, you just know its a second char.
Well nevermind I think its kinda useless. I like the numbers most time ,before the "!name"-command, I used to know some numbers out of my head and just because I always got problems with the name data ;).
Just want ask what is better with new random numbers hmm letme think you mentioned that your new char will be taken more serioules yeah? You think all old chars are unbelievable strong? Letme tell you i got a 200** char and he's so unbelievable weak and got some skills..but not even one masterd, so get away from this stupid old = powerful or powerful = gm lover..its just gets annyoing.
I think we got somethign better to do than make random numbers..nothing against the idea, but the staff should concentrate on things that are usefuller.
Oh and Cass..I already got this idea some years ago not only this "xyz looking like ((45***)) killed me" instead do some things cass mentioned , but i think , like the time when I mentioned it, we still got to less things to describe other Chars or the thief/murderer or something describes himself before he kills you...or uses a avatar that fits his char.
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

I think this is probobly too hard to program to be useful, I know they HATE implementing "temporary" systems, as it is a waste of time generally. I would rather they used that time for the final system.
Kasume

Post by Kasume »

Cassandra Fjurin wrote:Maybe in the distant future we can go with something like this:

Someone has attacked me, he was 1,80m tall has brown hair and was wearing a blue robe. And i forgot he had a scar on his right hand.
Damn, that is some distance... :wink:
Setherioth

Post by Setherioth »

just a thought. It was said they should be randomly generated so you wouldn't have an idea how good a fighter is, or how wise they are by their age, or how long they've been in illarion. Yet, if you were actually there you could take one look at someone and make a rough guess as to how skillful they are. If you were there you could see how big they are, how physically fit they are, how the walk how they hold themselves and you could guess as to how good a fighter they are, or by their age guess who wise they are. The numbers just give us the same hints we would get if we actually saw them.
Cylyan Fleam

Post by Cylyan Fleam »

Hmm, maybe, but it has already been said that some of the older characters *are* weak. So, that is deceptive in another way.
Rackere Diplomatre

Post by Rackere Diplomatre »

Well, a disappearance of numers would have a hard disadvantage.
I used to use the chat window to read what people say - just because the usual color isn't really readable on the ground it is now for me - colorblind.
If the numbers disappeared I couldn't see which person I don't know is speaking.