Orcs...

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Nilo

Orcs...

Post by Nilo »

Okay. Hi.

I for one am kind of tired of people not fearing orcs. Orcs are smally large ugly hideous strong blood-thirsty creatures who love to kill.

Now do tell me: an orc marches into town with his full clanking armour on, a very large axe strapped around his back, a large skull made of blood painted on his armour's chest, and many bloodstains all over him...The orc growls at a hobbit, and what does the hobbit do? It growls back at the orc!

What hobbit in their right mind would growl back at an orc????

The orcs are to be feared!!

Even the strongest of fighters are still scared of orcs.

Now then, I think that the townspeople should show a little more fear when they see an orc. The orc might be a brand new 75000, but even though he is weak in skills, doesnt mean you shouldnt be afriad of a large smellly, muscular orc.

So.. from now on. Show some decent role play and be afraid of orcs. Not just halflings either... everyone should be.
Kasume

Post by Kasume »

Not just halflings either... everyone should be.
LMAO
Brendan Mason

Post by Brendan Mason »

I agree with you to an extent, but the world that Illarion is set in, doesn't adhere strictly to a Tolkienesque world view.

The orcs of Troll's Bane, seem to be of the peaceful variety, they've interbred with other races, lived in the same town up until recently and so forth.

It all really depends on the orc player's roleplay. Some players play their orcs as friendly almost hobbit like characters. You can't expect all players to be instantly afraid of such orcs. What you're asking for is a generalisation.

Each case of roleplay should be taken on it's own merits.
Nilo

Post by Nilo »

Yes, however, I dont think orcs are meant to be played as sweet hobbit like creatures...
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

Brendan Mason wrote:I agree with you to an extent, but the world that Illarion is set in, doesn't adhere strictly to a Tolkienesque world view.
The dark truth.
For the Chronicles, someone wrote:In the year one of the new era on February, the 27th and 28th, an unknown epidemic infected the sheep of the isle. It caused a hungry rage to swell up within them, causing them to attack any who strolled too close. The tavern (not today's tavern, a provisorical wooden building north of town which was built by Ghost Walker and later abandoned) was attacked by them. A child vanishes, presumed taken by the ravenous sheep. The sheep known as Fluffy, a favourite among locals, seemed to resist the disease and was used by Ghostwalker to defend the now defunct tavern.

In the year one of the new era on February, the 28th, Damien and Aries invent the game "Fish Pong"

(...)

In the year one of the new era on April, the 10th, Darkwalker is executed. The library of the Grey Light and the Fluffy Sheep tavern are officially opened. Both buildings still stand today and are widely used. Erdrick's shop is mentioned on the town wall.
Last edited by Moirear Sian on Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brendan Mason

Post by Brendan Mason »

While they're not meant to be played as sweet hobbit like creatures, the fact is that certain minority (?) do. I don't disagree with the players who play their orcs like this, however, having said that, I don't think that they should be played like that.

However, the stereotype gets tired after a while as well and I feel that the Illarion orc is by far one of the worst played orcs I've come across in the fantasy world. Striking a balance seems to be key, but not many players do strike such a balance.

They either stick ardently with the:

"Grrr! Me smash all! Hwaaargh!"

or

"Me silly baby minded orc, yoo want go to pub?"
Ezor Edwickton

Post by Ezor Edwickton »

Illarion orcs arn't really all that large actually. They are more or less human size if you look at the character creation menu.
Bloodhearte

Re: Orcs...

Post by Bloodhearte »

Nilo wrote: ...marches into town with his full clanking armour on, a very large axe strapped around his back, a large skull made of blood painted on his armour's chest, and many bloodstains all over him...
I think you answered your own question by describing the appearence of about 75% of the characters.
Nilo

Post by Nilo »

Whoah....

Okay orcs weigh more than humans I think...

And also... I like to think orcs are larger than humans... or just as tall. My orc I know, I RP that he is taller than most humans....

I dunno, maybe Illarion doesnt take as good an approach to orcs as I would like... :?
Bloodhearte

Post by Bloodhearte »

In a common sense world, of course they would be feared.

But not if the average character (orc and non orc) is a 6'3 250 pound muscular warrior weilding a double axe, clad in metal, and carrying a greatsword in his bag. Seeing them is a daily occurence, so there's no need to fear something that isn't different.
Ezor Edwickton

Post by Ezor Edwickton »

Orc's can range in hight from 101-165 cm Humans 152-213
Orc's can range in weight from 40-77kg Humans 56-113

So humans are in general larger than orcs are. Why do you thing they old orcs were so short in game, and the new ones look really skrawny. It is a misconception that illarion orcs are these large monster like creatures.
Nilo

Post by Nilo »

Yes, I can understand human warriors not being so afraid.

But a hobbit?! Someone that is about a meter off the ground??? I cannot see a hobbit growling back at an orc, or fighting back, when they should be running or hiding...

Ya know, you'd be surprised.... if a hobbit hides under a table, if the orc is a decent role player youll find that the orc wont see you... :wink:
Ezor Edwickton

Post by Ezor Edwickton »

Actually now that i look at it a extremely tall halfling can be just as tall as a smaller orc in illarion.
Nilo

Post by Nilo »

Ezor Edwickton wrote:Actually now that i look at it a extremely tall halfling can be just as tall as a smaller orc in illarion.
Which i dont think should be... :wink:
Moirear Sian

Re: Orcs...

Post by Moirear Sian »

It wouldn't matter anyway.
Bloodhearte wrote:
Nilo wrote: ...marches into town with his full clanking armour on, a very large axe strapped around his back, a large skull made of blood painted on his armour's chest, and many bloodstains all over him...
I think you answered your own question by describing the appearence of about 75% of the characters.
Ring ding ding!

Bloodhearte wins 50 Brownie points.
Turonga Mudwater

Post by Turonga Mudwater »

delete Double post
Last edited by Turonga Mudwater on Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Turonga Mudwater

I do think too many orcs talk like three year olds, which is why rather than talking like that I slur and clip words. I also think there to much of either Baby or want to kill all. Turonga has mood swings, using Tal as an example Tal promsed to duel her and Turonga said they were going to duel but Tal gave some "I broke a "(insert Jibberish here) nerve" Turonga Belived her because bieng an orc shes not the brightest in the box, but after so many of these nerves breaking she cought on and demanded to fight.

I think you need to use a mix, a dimwitted creature who is quick to anger but not allways in battle mode, But I admit I've had quite a few "slip ups" but hey, no one is perfect.

But the fact that they are quick to anger should make non-warriors somewhat fearful unless they have gold or another bribe.
Nilo

Post by Nilo »

Thats what im talking about!

A hobbit promising an orc in a duel?! Come on... hobbits dont duel! And if they did, they most certainly wouldnt duel the strongest creature...
Turonga Mudwater

well Turonga could care less, "Shorty wan' fight den we fight!" or "Shorty nub wan' fight? Too bad you get fight me" I think when a hobbit RP's like that just deal with it, its pretty anoying but use that in your RP. kind of "You you htink your as tough as me, or You think Im afraid of you? Com'n lets fight then!"
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

Someone asked me via MSN to elaborate on what I have posted on this thread so far. Here's the excerpt:
Ghost a.k.a. Moirear Sian wrote:Ghost: 75% of all player characters DO walk around like that, orc or not.
Ghost: And they're not taken seriously either.
Ghost: My point was, nobody takes illarion role-play seriously anyway, lately
Ghost: Just recently I experienced it again... RPed my ass off to come accross "dark" and "spooky" ig, but it just doesn't work.
Ghost: Most players are on their ego-trip and are like the hobbit who growls back at the ferocious orc.
Ereaes

Post by Ereaes »

Nilo, i have the perfect example of the "Hobbit fears nothing" but i will not mention his name because that would be curtious of me, and no nilo i do not speak of you. Well anywho, the hobbit was not afraid of the orc one bit, he kept insulting it, I mean a hobbit insulting an orc! I can understand Nilo doing it, or Willum and Lennier but not some new new player that i saw.
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

can understand Nilo doing it, or Willum and Lennier but not some new new player that i saw.
First of orcs need to act more heinous. MAKE A BAD NAME GUYS! Go on and murder people. :P

But, everyone has fears...we have enough "fearless" characters out there as we speak.
Talaena Landessi

Post by Talaena Landessi »

Ha Ha ..nilo, Talaena is a five foot tall half hobbit ((lol half hobbit..what would be left)) who is quite bull headed. she also gets hurt alot and i rp it, and she fancies her self a warrior ((lol never gonna happen)) so next time. use a different hobbit as an example please ((not you turonga , Nilo))

~PO Talaena~
Kasume

Post by Kasume »

I personally, dislike the idea of orcs completely within the game. Personal opinion though. :D
Nilo

Post by Nilo »

Well with Nilo, he fears orcs. When he sees one, he squeaks. lol So he is fearful.

Tal, i wasnt necessarily talking about you, however, being half elf and half hobbit? That is kind odd.... Wouldn't you be more human than halfling?

Anyway, I wasnt referring to you....
Nilo

Post by Nilo »

Kasume wrote:I personally, dislike the idea of orcs completely within the game. Personal opinion though. :D
Why? They add a lot of personality to it....
Grant Herion

Post by Grant Herion »

Why should anyone be afraid of the orcs. They have never really done anything to make anyone afraid of their race as a whole. If say, the Bloodskull Clan waged a long war against the other races then people should roleplay fearing orcs. But in this game, orcs haven't really done anything to earn fear in character hearts.
Kasume

Post by Kasume »

Personally, I see no personality to the game added to it. Orcs are just rampaging beasts that just kill things, at least that's how EVERYONE plays them. There have been VERY few orcs that role play something other than killers or random attackers.
The fact is, people play them and use them as an excuse to just kill people. An orc approaches my character...

"I want that"
"You can't have it..."

They attack me.

"You smell oomie!"
"You're ugly orc..."

The orc attacks me...

C'mon, this describes about 90% of orcs that are actively playing. The other 10% aren't on as often. Everytime I see an orc, they're just killing someone or insulting someone. It really is just a sorry excuse to kill and act like bunches of idiots. And sadly, it's the one group that I see all of the time.
With the few exceptions, please orcs. Stop playing the big mean bastard types, it really gets old.

My character is a huge, buffed up boy. Taller than most orcs. So in an act of irony, stop pushing my character around like a hobbit...
Grant Herion

Post by Grant Herion »

How would you like them to roleplay an orc? Instead of telling how not to roleplay an orc, why don't you give them other options to choose from?
Kasume

Post by Kasume »

Grant Herion wrote:How would you like them to roleplay an orc? Instead of telling how not to roleplay an orc, why don't you give them other options to choose from?
The opposite of what I just said maybe? :?