Announcing events

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Belegi

Announcing events

Post by Belegi »

This is more an idea but a proposal;

I came across some other games like Illarion and there was one thing that I found which might improve our game: Currently, there is the problem that you can barely have 10+ players online except there is "something going on". The information about such ingame events goes from one who knows it to another one via ICQ or such and so on. So, many players, in special newbies, won´t have a clue about ingame events and might get frustrated because they miss everything.

My idea is that ingame events could be announced via the OOC-main board so that players know when something special is happening and there are many players online so this becomes a event to remember. If you don´t want to know other players about your events, simply don´t anncounce them. But I think we play a game all together to have fun and not to play our own secret little game for us alone.

Sure, many events could be announced via the RPG board, but would a character announce "Today, we will attack Silverbrand!"? Or would the evil villain announce "This evening I will summon monsters and take your women as slaves to my mine!"?

This would mean the mixing of OOC and IC-knowledge, but only to a certain level. Knowing that an event will take place as a player will you only cause to go online, not to draw your blade as a character as soon as you see the -formerly nice- uber villain. Tell me what you think, maybe the GMs can even make a own board for such announcements?
Josefine da Vince

Post by Josefine da Vince »

I love this idea in the last few weeks I feeled how hard it is to always know what is going on.
Only players who are online for the most time of the day are able to take place in all events and others do not have a chance.

But I see a problem with this idea, the problem of mixing ooc with ic, as you said it is not easy to not attack someone from whom you know he's going to do something this evening. You'll automatically be not as friendly to him as may would be when you do not have a clue what is happening.

Maybe one should not tell what is going on but tell that something is going on without the information what the char is planing or what chars are taking place in this little quest.
Zarah

Post by Zarah »

Well, first of all: That's a good idea. When reading it there came one idea into my mind, which of course is discussable and has pro and cons.
What about using something similar than the new Gm-calling-command connected with the starting page?
I imagine this like this: You type some announcemet ingame (similar to the Gm-calling-command) or on another media somewhere on the Illarion-Site or maybe you p.m. a Gm your announcement like you, Belegi, said, "Attacking of Northerot at 12 p.m. Sunday". Something like this.

Then a Gm writes it on the main page and everyone knows about it. Another idea would be, to make it automatically, like typing it in a window and it appears on the main page. I imagine this like a blog you find on some homepages.
Percival

Post by Percival »

Cool idea, i'm sure i will be lost when i start^^, but it could be done even in game, like some message board in Tavern to be available to be checked by all players or radom items like leaflets shown on ground, or even in your backpack... or, lets say a week before event message shows when you get logged...
Val De Gausse

Post by Val De Gausse »

I am mixed on this idea...You want this to be used so you know when attacks happen obviously. Anyone can post parties or such on the RPG board...but OOC of it I wouldn't care. Obviously no one will post an ATTACK IC. So why OOC? To give your char a chance? Talk around...if you don't get that knowledge ig, how will your char be at the battle ig from OOC knowledge.

In conclusion, this idea would only be good to warn players OOC for attacks...which would be bad for BOTH sides.
Darlok

Post by Darlok »

Can you think of a possibility to use the rumor-topic at the rpg board?
Larger events tend to cause rumors before they happen.

I am quite certain, if you write a email to rpg_requests@illarion.org with a nice and fitting line or two , they will add it to the rumors.
Of course the event should be big enough and the text should be "rumorish", so not to exat.

Think of that way.
Percival

Post by Percival »

hmm... after giving a second though on this subject i must say that Val the Gausse is right, gathering information and spreading a word and gossips is an important part of roleplay
Belegi

Post by Belegi »

To make my point clearer, I don´t have in mind texts like:

"Today at 12:00 pm CET Olga, Grunko and the evil mage Ithlaca will set up an ambush for Trude and Egon to fulfill their legacy..."

but texts like

"Today around 12:00 pm CET a celebration will take place in Silverbrand."

or

"On 02/07/04 there will be a gathering of important people."

or

"Tomorrow in the evening something will happen in the matter of the Grey Rose vs. Northerot."

Those announcements should be for the players only, so they know when they should be online so they don´t get frustrated if they miss everything. The characters should not know about this, they are simply awake but don´t have a clue what´s happening.
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

You could ofcourse also do it with the rp dates...you know, with that convertor that was on the general board some time ago.

At 5 Nargas(or whatever it is called) at sunset their is going to be a showdown

Or something like that
Bloodhearte

Post by Bloodhearte »

This sounds like something that can be used if one wants to host or schedule a big, formal battle, or some other event.

For all of you "SURPRISE!" hit n' runners out there, just stick with your dirty methods. :wink:
Arkadia Misella

Post by Arkadia Misella »

~Shrugs~
I would say if you want a huge battle or such...just do it ooc over a messenger from leader to leader, and then filter it down to everyone else.
Belegi

Post by Belegi »

To realize this idea, all it would take would be one sticky topic in the general board (or the RPG-board, even if it would be an ooc-topic). With all discussions strictly forbidden in this topic, everyone could announce his events, like the wedding of Gorden and Julia on sunday.

I´d propose something like this:

Topic title: "Sticky: Ingame events"

and posts like:

"On next sunday at 22:00 CET the wedding of Gorden and Julia will take place in Silverbrand.

---

Am nächsten Sonntag um 22:00 CET findet die Hochzeit zwischen Gorden und Julia in Silberbrand statt."

Any other opinions?
Zare

Post by Zare »

I think people are missing the point of this idea. It sounds to me, that this isn't for alerting the people involved in the event, but alerting everyone, that way they can log on and see some action. I think it is a good idea, I know that it can get quite boring seeing the same thing every day, no fights or events. but I can think of a few people who would use this OOC information in a dishonost manner. :?
Belegi

Post by Belegi »

You mean, someone could just show up and destroy the event? Like, someone announces a festival and some villains show up to kill everyone? Well, if something like this happens, that might be a job for violations@...

until now, it works out fine:
http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... hp?t=10813

Thanks a lot to Galdriel.
Val De Gausse

Post by Val De Gausse »

but I can think of a few people who would use this OOC information in a dishonost manner

How so? If you attack that is as legit as showing up to celebrate.