Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 11:23 am
- Welcome to Troll's Bane
- The heart of Gobaith.
"Welcome friends, both old and new, to Troll's Bane. This town is the centre of
Gobaith; not just geographically, but economically, politically, and socially. Please
follow our laws, and stay out of trouble. I know that you shall enjoy your time here."
- Edric Galthor, Viceroy of Troll's Bane
In memorial of the late Edric Galthor
- Governor of Troll's Bane:
Magistrate of Troll's Bane:
Captain of the Guard:
Advisor to the Throne:
“The People of Troll's Bane have always been a defiant race. One who are ambitious, reliant upon themselves, and stead fest in their respective duties. However, it has been a recurrent theme in the tumultuous history of Troll's Bane that causes this defiance to be bred. So Therefore, in order to protect the integrity of future citizens, and to give more balance to the future foundation of our fair town, a document has been drafted and put into place on this day."
- Elijah Varrin, Governor of Troll's Bane
The Articles of Troll's Bane
Article One: The Rights of Citizens and Individuals
These are basic rights that all citizens of Troll's Bane have rightfully pledged to them.
1) All citizens of Troll's Bane may own or operate land at the discretion of the Troll's Bane government. Individual persons with no affiliation with the town are exempt from this rule, though some extreme cases are presence and permitted.
2) All citizens of Troll's Bane are permitted to utilize any and all resources and tools within or around Troll's Bane. Individual persons with no affiliation with the town are exempt from this rule.
3)The integrity of the person, character, and freedom of a citizen within the territories of Troll's Bane are rights which may not be interfered with.
-Tools within Troll's Bane include, but are limited to: workbenches, ovens, anvils, furnaces, and grinders.
-Resources of Troll's Bane include, but are not limited to: water, trees, fields, fruit, animals, and minerals.
- All trees within the walls of the Troll's Bane township are excluded from this rule. It is forbidden for anyone other than a town official to cut them down.
- Any individual may have their right to utilize the tools and resources within Troll's Bane temporarily withdrawn by a member of the Town Guard in a case of repeated misuse.
- The owner of any privately owned resource or tool within the territories of Troll's Bane may use their property in any reasonable manner, which may include the exclusion of others.
- The act of littering will be punished with a fine proportional to the crime.
- Unnecessary violence of any form against another's person is forbidden within the territories of Troll's Bane.
- Combats of any form, including non-lethal duels, are forbidden within the walls of the Troll's Bane township. The only people exempt from this rule are the Town Guard and anyone with specific permission from the government of Troll's Bane.
- Any individual in possession of a weapon within the territories of Troll's Bane must keep the weapon sheathed and in plain sight.
- Any individual may have their right to possess a weapon within the territories of Troll's Bane withdrawn by a member of the Town Guard.
- No individual may threaten another, whether expressly or otherwise.
- No individual may cause harm to another's reputation by publicly spreading false statements.
- No individual may hold another against their will and without lawful reason to do so.
- Offensive magic may not be cast within town
4)All citizens within the territories of Troll's Bane are to be treated with respect and civility.
- No individual may be discriminated against on the basis of race.
- No individual may be discriminated against on the basis of gender.
- No individual may be subject to unreasonable insult.
5)A citizen's property belongs to the citizen alone. Property rights are granted to all registered citizens within the territories of Troll's Bane.
6) A citizen of Troll's Bane has the right to a fair trial and a legal representative in the court of law. A individual who has no affiliation to the Town of Troll's Bane has the right to a fair trial and a legal representative in smaller cases. Individuals accused of treason or attempting to topple or overthrow the Government of Troll's Bane will be automatically put to death.
- No individual may knowingly deprive an owner, against their will, of a possession.
- No individual may enter or remain within a building, when it is against the owner's will for them to do so, and the owner's will is known to the individual.
- No individual may cause harm to another's property.
7) All citizens of Troll's Bane have the right and the privilege to serve in a Governmental role in some capacity if they pass several screening tests.
8 ) Individuals from outside settlements captured for crimes committed in Troll's Bane may be exported back to their respective settlements IF the settlement agrees to their own punishment or trial upon the return of the captive. Individuals accused of treason or serious offenses are exempt from this rule.
9) All citizens and individuals within Troll's Bane are free. Slavery is forbidden and will be looked upon as a crime as high as Treason.
10) It is the right and the duty of the citizens to form a citizenry council that will regularly meet with the Governor to discuss issues within the town and lobby for changes.
11) A citizen who owns land within Troll's Bane may not secede from Troll's Bane in any manner, making the land an independent junction. He may not sell the land without the permission of the Government.
Article Two: The Role of Government
Article Two Section One: These are the obligations, restrictions, and rules that accompany the title of Governor.*All stipulations against the position of Governor and other positions are instituted upon this day. Current members of the Government are not subjugated to the same guidelines of Clause 1. However, all other guidelines apply.*
1)All citizens of Troll's Bane are eligible for the position of Governor if they fit the following credentials:
- They must have served in the role of Magistrate before their rise to Governor. If the Governor and the Magistrate both resigned, are killed, or suddenly disappear the Captain of the Troll's Bane Guard will take over the town.2)The title of Governor of Troll's Bane will be passed down upon the Magistrate upon the serving Governor's death, resignation, or sudden departure.
- They have have had an extensive background test that removes any doubt of their affiliations with outside forces, or groups that pose as direct threats to the inhabitants of the town and abroad.
- They must have no affiliations or partnership with any outside civilian groups not created by or pertaining to the role of Governor. Groups that are exempted include: Scribe work, and The Army of Gobaith.
- They must be a citizen of Troll's Bane for three dwarven months.
3)The Governor of Troll's Bane is required to hold three citizenry meetings a dwarven month.
4)The Governor of Troll's Bane will keep the Town Treasury within his possession. The Governor of Troll's Bane will receive no set salary. However, they may use the treasury as they wish, with strict documentation on what they use it for. This usage is restricted to simple necessities, such as shelter, food, and clothing. Travel expenses are also include.
5)The Governor of Troll's Bane is the Supreme Commander of all Troll's Bane armed forces. A Governor may declare war in times of dishevel and may command his/her troops into battle as they deem fit.
6) The Governor and more importantly, the Government of Troll's Bane may not be overturned by an aggressive campaign. It is the right of the citizens to try to come to a compromise with the Governor on certain issues. However, an aggressive campaign to kill, murder, and overthrow the Government will be met with a staunch resistance on the Government's part.
- It is the duty of the Governor and the Government to retake the Town of Troll's Bane should it be overthrown by outsider forces.7)The Governor of Troll's Bane may not accept brides or any financial agreements to gain position within town. He may not sell Government positions or titles to citizens of Troll's Bane.
- It is the duty of the Governor and the Government to refuse to allow bandits, the Temple, or an outsider force from the Mainland to continue to hold dominion over the Town.
- If these harsh times ever pass, the Government of Troll's Bane has the right to annex land near to Troll's Bane or a suburb in itself to act as a stepping block to retaking the town.
8 )The Governor of Troll's Bane cannot accept brides of outsider forces on a personal level. A Governor may not use the Troll's Bane treasury to pay for the ransom of a sibling or family member. A Governor may not sign coerced documents that give certain individuals leadership of the town or accept randoms that state such, even if it means the death of a loved one.
9)The Governor of Troll's Bane may pay outsider forces for protection and is the supreme voice in external affairs. He cannot, however, annex land without the consent of the citizen base.
10)The Governor of Troll's Bane must act as the public voice of the people of Troll's Bane and make sure that the base is happy, for a divided house cannot stand.
11)The Governor of Troll's Bane is the sole head of the Government of Troll's Bane. Any other Government member who is found to be undermining their rule is subject to be tried for treason and stripped of their respective title/s.
12) The Governor must give the town of Troll's Bane a three dwarven week notice before they wish to resign, as to acclimate the Magistrate to the job and give them the necessary funds and other materials that are necessary to run the town.
Article Two Section Two: These are the obligations, restrictions, and rules that accompany the title of Magistrate.
1) The Magistrate is the superior voice in the Legislative branch in Troll's Bane. The Governor is the only person in the Government who may overturn any of their decrees or decisions upon the legal system.
2) Both the Magistrate and the Governor are the only two who may appear as judges in the court of Troll's Bane, unless they are both declared to be too bias.They are also the only two entities that may pardon a criminal of crimes.
3) The Magistrate may declare new laws with the discretion and supervision of the Governor and hand out sentences to the fullest extent of the law.
4) The Magistrate is required to be neutral in all civil and foreign legal affairs. If a defendant feels that this isn't the case, he may request a more neutral judge at the discretion of the Governor.
5) They may banish and jail criminals for as long as the please, as long as the sentences are appropriate for the crimes committed
6) They may carry out executions on criminals who have been declared worthy of such. They may also torture and parade criminals for information pertaining to their crimes or co-conspirators.
7) The Magistrate must be of sound mind, have prior legal background, and be found to be completely free of a criminal record.
8.) The Magistrate is allowed to make trade agreements for the town of Trollsbane, if agreed upon by the acting Governor.
9) The Magistrate may act as a diplomatic representative of Trollsbane, if agreed upon by the acting Governor.
10) The Magistrate may give orders to the town guard, and if it is something extraordinary it should be agreed upon with the guard captain and/or the Governor. The Magistrate assumes the powers of the Governor over the Guard, if the Governor is unable to command.
11) The Magistrate can take command of the town guard in case of an emergency if the captain of the guard is absent, if agreed upon with the acting Governor.
Article Three: Suburbs of Troll's Bane
1) The land outside of Troll's Bane makes up and constitutes the areas known as the Suburbs. They are titled by the following: Northbridge, Eastmark, Midlands, Oakwoodshire, Riverside, and Athen.
2) Leasers of the suburbs may change the name of the estate to their liking at the discretion of the Governor.
3) Leasers of the suburbs can be stripped of their rights to the land if they are to break the laws of the town or the contract.
4) New estates may be annexed at the discretion of the neighboring suburbs and the citizen base.
5) Suburbs may not harbor criminals within their lands at any times. If they fail to adhere to this clause, they will be subject to arrest and their rights to the land stripped from them.
6) Members of the respective suburbs may take on any title that they wish. They have the right to make small brigades to protect their lands and keep out outside forces.
7) Leaders of estates may call on the aid of Troll's Bane's armed forces in times of need.
8.) Suburbs have the right to request financial aide from the Town of Troll's Bane.
9) A suburb may not, at any time, attempt to secede from the Town of Troll's Bane.
Article Four: Religion in Troll's Bane
1.) The Archbishop of Troll's Bane is the Head and religious representative of Troll's Bane, he has the duty to look after the spiritual welfare of all souls on Gobaith .
a.) The Archbishop enjoys a position as spiritual adviser to the throne of Troll's Bane.
b.)The Archbishop has a duty to combat heresy, error and nonreligious subjects of the island.
2.) All land belonging in some manner to the Archbishop's person shall be known as the Archbishopric.
3.) Within all land belonging temporally or spiritually to the Archbishop he has the authority to decree morally-binding laws on anything which shall be considered a spiritual matter, he shall have the authority to judge and execute punishment for these spiritual crimes within religious courts appointed by himself. These laws may not contradict the rightful laws of any land, nor may he presume to punish crimes unrelated to spiritual matters; within the city walls such laws must be approved by the Governor.
4.) He shall have the power to call to himself a militia for religious purposes only, though this may not be used for aggressive campaigns against Troll's Bane or its allies.
5.) The Archbishop, though being directly in control of the spiritual administration of Gobaith, shall have the power to appoint and delegate others to assist him in his tasks as he sees fit.
6.) So long as the Archbishop does not interfere with the rightful governance of Troll's Bane or its surrounding estates, he shall have peace to go about his own business and be granted protection by that same government.
7.) Only a male over the age of thirty may become Archbishop, women are forbidden from so doing.
8.) The government of Troll's Bane maintains the right to remove the Archbishop from his position, should he break the terms of his agreement.
9.) All lands of this righteous religious movement are territories of Troll's Bane, though under the subordinate and uninterfered governance of the Archbishop, and any attempt to cede this lands from Troll's Bane will result in the termination of this contract.
10.)The Archbishop is under no circumstances, while retaining his episcopal office, to take supreme leadership of the city. He is not to pursue governmental office, nor to incite rebellion so as to have himself placed in governmental office.
11.) This contract may not be terminated, edited, abridged or re-worded without the express written consent of all the signatories, unless one of the parties break the terms of the agreement and in doing so render it null and void.
Article Four: Amending this Document
1) A Governor may, in times of social change made amendments to the structure of this contract.
2) A Governor cannot change the words of this document without the consent and knowledge of the citizen base.
3) The Governor of Troll's Bane is the only Governmental official who holds the right to hold or make revisions to the foundation of this document.
4) A Governor found to breaking any of the above clauses will instantly be guilty for an act of treason.
And so, with sound mind and body, we shall all place our honor, hope, and minds into the formation of this document. Hopefully, though the years may bring many different seasons, and many different faces, the words that we have agreed to will continue to stand as a testament to freedom and the turmoil of Troll's Bane government behind us.
Governor of Troll's Bane
The Town Guard
The Food Bank and Town Treasury
The Town Treasury:
- 20 gold coins, 349 silvers, 1519 coppers
The Food Bank:
- 500 Apples
2000 Roasted Fish
200 Sausage Dishes